NTS Episode 3 (29/1/17)
I’ve recently revisited two documentaries which provide a snapshot of early 1980s New York City – Style Wars and 80 Blocks from Tiffany’s. I was thinking about the urban landscape traversed within those films when picking songs for this week’s episode.
I’ve never visited New York, so when I think of the city I often think of its 80s representation: a dystopian megacity covered in trash and broken glass, graffitied subway cars, and Kurt Russell with an eye patch shooting at pirates. Of course I know it’s not like that now, but this was the mental-imagery I was channeling into the mix!
The second half is counterbalanced by an all-Australian sleepy mix from W + W – Wayne & Weidemann.
- Steven Brown – China Town
- Burden of the Beat – Computers Tell
- The Pool – Heavenly Voices
- Bang the Party – Jacques Theme
- Frank Youngwerth – Whirr (Atmospheric)
- Lenny Ferrari – Samba This
- Style Wars Interlude
- XTC – Egyptian Solution
- 400 Blows – Pressure
- Johnny Dynell – Jam Hot (Rubber Mix)
- Burden of the Beat – Coda
- Norman Salant – Europe After Dark
- Steven Brown – Samba in the Subway
- Jean Pierre Boistel – Percussions Pour La Danse
- Sui Zhen – Holiday Feelings
- Andrew Thomas Wilson – River of Solitude Movement III
- Ken Davis – After the Rain John Elder – ?
- Lunar Ra – ?
- Graham Gash – Tulsi
- John Elder – ?
- Steve Kilbey – Memory
- Peter Westheimer & Zoe Carides – ?
- Not Drowning Waving – Another Pond
- Hydroplane – Please Don’t Say Goodbye
- Lighthouse Keepers – Torture Road
- The Reels – Kakadu
- Tom Kazas – ?